CARBON FIBER TUBE
Carbon fiber has the best combination of high strength, high stiffness, and lightweight. Our carbon fiber tube is as strong as steel, as stiff as aluminum, and lighter than titanium. Carbon fiber tubes can replace metal tubes in many applications. We offer a wide range of tubes to fit your needs.
Carbon Fiber Tube Applications:
- Light Aircraft
- Prototype Aircraft
- Radar and GPS antennas
- Communication towers
- Stiffening and reinforcing beams
- Wind power
- Autonomous craft
- Unmanned vehicle capture booms
- Underwater equipment
- Telescope housing
- Large telescope truss tubing
- High Altitude Craft
- Robotic arms
- Transport beams
- Measurement devices
- Electronics housing
- Mining equipment
- Performance arts and production
- Oil and Gas down-hole applications
- Printing rollers and guides
- Truss Structures
- Security gates
- Photography and motion picture
- Energy generation
- Manufacturing beams
- Product distribution
- Medical equipment
- Solar Energy
- Fuel Cell housing
Carbon Fiber Tube Features:
- High strength and stiffness to weight
- Excellent resistance to fatigue
- Dimensional stability: Low CTE (Coefficient of Thermal Expansion)
- Resistance to corrosion
- X-Ray transparency
- Chemical resistivity
Carbon Fiber Tube Specifications:
We have been engaged in the production of fiber materials for more than 20 years and have a strong engineering team. We will formulate complete solutions for customers from multiple perspectives such as product transportation, installation, maintenance, and cost-effectiveness according to the use conditions and performance requirements of the products.
Carbon Fiber Tube Manufacturing Process :
4-Axis braiding is a process in which we braid carbon fibers over a mandrel. The braiding machine stays in one place and an aluminum mandrel traverses inside of the braiding hoop. The layer of braid is then wet-out with epoxy resin at a 2nd stage in the machine. The laminate is then consolidated and cured at 280F.
- Braided composite structures offer extreme durability and toughness due to the interlocking fibers and no seams.
- If damage does occur, it does not tend to propagate within the structure.
- Typically braided carbon tubes have approximately 75% of fibers directly on the axis of the tube. These fibers are continuous fibers from one end of the part to the other. 10 % of the fibers are +/- 45 deg and around 15% are 90 deg (hoop)
- We can make some adjustments to the percentages of fiber orientation; however, it is not possible to get high percentages of +/- 45 deg.
- The inherent high percentage of fiber on the 0 axis makes a braided tube a very good compression or bending tube.
- Because the machine stays in one place and the mandrel traverses, there is no length limitation to the parts that can be built (the building length, oven length, and mandrel lengths are limiting factors, but the process itself is not limited).
- We typically braid longer length parts or larger manufacturing runs compared to pre-preg
- Braided carbon fiber tubes tend to have more surface ripples and small voids in the laminate. This is not a structural issue but it can be a cosmetic issue and it may have an effect on the OD tolerance of the part.
Examples of some applications for braided tubing
Communications towers, large antenna assemblies, portable antennas, drone wing spars, aircraft structural tubing, sailboat spars, truss tubing, reinforcing tubes, spacer tubes, stiffening tubes, compression struts, GPS towers, high tension cable struts, awning support tubes, structural beams, low interference towers.
At LEADFRP, we believe that fiber reinforced plastic (FRP) products are the choice of the future. Compared with traditional materials such as steel and aluminum, it has excellent performance and service life.
LEADFRP provides a series of high-strength fiber reinforced plastic products (FRP), which are designed and manufactured to provide long-lasting performance in highly corrosive environments, while having the advantages of light weight and high dielectric strength compared with traditional structural materials.
Since 2001, we have provided our customers with innovative, high-quality composite designs and materials through two strategic offices/factories located in the United States and China. It is here that we provide turnkey solutions to take your product from concept to design, to mold calculation, manufacturing, and finally to installation. [More about manufacturing]
We own 5 acres (20000 square metre) standard plants, 80 sets of advanced various manufacturing and machining equipments, 120 sets of assembly pultrusion production line, including one 1000 kN tensile strength machine and one 200 kN bending and torsion machine. We also can proceed basic property test of different kinds of composite insulation materials according to GB, ASTM, etc standards. Our products passed TUV Rheinland type test and UL type test.
LEADFRP strictly carry out standardized, scientific and normalized management mode. We fully implement ISO9001 quality management system, ERP managing system and 6S management mode through the whole service cycle of contract signing, production, process inspection, finished product ex-factory, after-sales service, which outstandingly reflect ‘Quality is the Life of Enterprise’. We have ISO9001, ISO14001 and ISO45001 identification.
Research and Development
With a 10,000 sqft R&D laboratory and full-time R&D staff, LEADFRP can perform most testing procedures, material qualifications and quality experiments. These resources provide LEADFRP, its customers and suppliers technical expertise that is unmatched in the composite industry. The following is a summary of LEADFRP’s technical capabilities.
- Decades of experience in mechanical testing of common to exotic reinforcements.
- Deflection testing a composite cross-arm.
- Composites analysis capabilities include Finite Element and Classical Laminated Plate Theory using in-house generated lamina data.
- Rapid Prototyping: In-house 3D printing capabilities offer the R&D lab the ability to quickly create test fixtures and concept prototypes.
- Dedicated laboratory pultrusion machine managed and operated by a full-time Research and Development Engineer and dedicated machine operator.
- Competency in conducting Design of Experiments to reduce testing time.
- Material testing machines capable of loads as high as 220,000 lbs-force.
- Full-Scale Testing Machine: 3-Point Bend Test Machine capable of applying loads up to 30,000 lbs-force on 22-foot clear spans.
- Environmental Chamber for elevated temperature coupon testing.
- Weatherometer and material conditioning capabilities include programmable UV, temperature, and condensation.
- Laboratory machine shop to prepare ASTM test coupons and custom test specimens.
- Custom design and testing capabilities, including custom fixture design and setup, custom laminate designs, and access to our in-house machine shop to fabricate test fixtures.
- Dedicated environmentally controlled Mechanical Test Lab. Dedicated environmentally controlled Electrical Test Lab.
- Rheology/DMA to determine glass transition temperature and other viscoelastic properties of resin mixes as well as solid composites.
- Viscosity and cure (210°F gel) testing capabilities for neat resins and resin mixes.
- Color matching capabilities for resins finished pultrusions and topcoats.